I have been thinking about eating quinoa for breakfast for sometime now. Yesterday I was reading the new issue of Food & Wine, in the reading room and I came across a recipe from Kristin Donnelly, a private-chef in LA and NY. The article was titled "Healthy Make-Ahead Dishes" page68. I created my own version. It is much lighter than oatmeal and tasted great.
This can be made ahead and heated in microwave, just keep the sauce separate from quinoa until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Breakfast Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup apricot mango juice
5 dried Turkish apricots, diced
2 T maple syrup
dry roasted unsalted slide almonds
Heat water in sauce pan to rolling boil. Stir in quinoa and cover with tight fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Turn of heat and keep quinoa covered.
Meanwhile, in small sauté pan, heat apricot mango juice and
apricots. Simmer approximately 15 minutes to soften apricots. Now add the maple syrup and mix well.
To serve, place the quinoa into 3 bowls and top with apricot sauce, sprinkle with the sliced almonds for garnish and crunch.
This sounds tasty... I can't wait to try to make it once I get back the States. While maple syrup is hard to find in Italy, it is about $10 for a smaller container when you do! I am going to remember to come back this recipe. YUM!
ReplyDelete