Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Surf and Turf

Tonight for dinner I decided to do my take on surf and turf. We are leaving for Vegas in the morning and I had the day off, so figured why not get the party started early.

We started with an arugula and grape tomato salad topped with "fried" goat cheese balls and a balsamic vinaigerette that I whisked up. The dressing was outstanding and had dijon mustard, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. of sugar and olive oil. Delicious. The fried goat cheese balls did not work out quite as planned, they fell apart when pan fried- but the taste was there. We'll have to try that one again some other time.


Next it was on to the main course -- I did all of Crystal's favorites tonight, just in a miniature version.

Crab cakes -- lump jumbo crab meat, mayo, egg whites, fresh breadcrumbs, cilantro, old bay seasoning, and softened onions and garlic. Formed into small balls and then pan fried. I topped this with a cajun remoulade sauce, basically a kicked-up mayo.


Beef Tenderloin "Slider" -- I took Challah sandwich rolls and grilled on our panini maker. I topped with a homemade horseradish cream sauce and seared beef tenderloin. It was delicious, the horseradish made it and the Challah was very shabbat like.


Mushroom Risotto -- good ole' risotto, it never fails. Pain in the ass to make, because it is so high maintenance, but it is so good. Shitake and Crimini mushrooms, roasted and added to a parmesean and white wine risotto. I topped with some fresh parsley and shaved parmasean cheese. Always a hit.



Dessert -- not much a baker, so cheated a bit here. We are having cupcakes from our neighborhood bakery, Dinkels. They are so fluffy and delicious. A guilty pleasure.



So to recap, my diet is blown, but its vacation, so why not. We'll send in pics from our meals in Vegas, have a couple of great places lined up that I am very excited about.

2 comments:

  1. Good cooking son! We will have to joint venture over Thanksgiving. You might try dusting the goat cheese with flour and then dredge in egg wash and breadcrumbs prior to frying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I put the goat cheese in egg wash and then bread crumbs, but maybe needed the flour first to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete